Posts Tagged ‘Home Safety’

What’s The First Thing You Should Do After A Home Purchase?

Saturday, April 28th, 2012

Change your locks when you buy a new homeDid you remember to handle the most basic safety precaution for your new home?

When people buy homes , there’s a tendency to think “Big Picture” on home improvements.  Flooring, painting and furniture are common “just-moved-in” purchases, as are cable television and utilities packages.

The most important move-in purchase, though, may also be the least expensive — deadbolts for your doors.  Every home has at least one — and sometimes up to dozen — keyed points of entry.   And, until you change those locks, there’s no telling just how many people may have access to your home.

For example, your home’s prior owners may have shared house keys with any/all of the following people :

  • Real estate agents
  • Neighbors and friends
  • Parents, brothers and sisters
  • Home cleaning service
  • Dog walkers and pet sitters

Using Space Heaters? Use This Safety Advice.

Saturday, March 17th, 2012

Space heater safety tipsSpace heaters are popular among homeowners in Colorado because, as portable appliances, they can heat a small space quickly and inexpensively.  It requires less energy to run a space heater than to raise the temperature of an entire home by a few degrees.  However, space heaters can be dangerous, too.

In its November 2011 report, the National Fire Protection Association reveals that heating equipment was involved in an estimated 58,900 home structure fires, 480 civilian deaths, 1,520 civilian injuries and more than $1.1 billion in damage.

Space heaters caused a disproportionate percentage of the accidents:

  • 79% of all home heating-related civilian deaths
  • 66% of all home heating-related civilian injuries
  • 52% of all home heating-related property damage

If you use space heaters, please remember to read (and follow) the manufacturer’s instructions for proper usage, and to obey basic safety standards.

Using Home Generators? Here’s How To Stay Safe.

Wednesday, March 14th, 2012

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, poisonous gas.  It kills more 400 people die in their homes each year.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is especially common during periods of power outage.  This is because homeowners throughout Colorado fire up their personal home power generators.  Home generators are a leading cause of poisoning by carbon monoxide and, in this 4-minute from NBC’s The Today Show, you’ll learn about home generators, how they operate, and the safety measures everyone homeowner should undertake.

A few basic home generator safety rules, as described in the interview, include :

  • Never modify a generator or its engine
  • Keep a 10-foot distance between the generator and your home
  • Always point the generator’s exhaust away from your home

Furthermore, make sure your home has an ample supply of carbon monoxide detectors, and that they’re operational.