We created the “Green Living” section to give you practical tips to save money while improving the environment. You might not classify yourself as a “tree hugger”; however, we have learned that 97% of consumers will “go green” when the price is equal or less. Our goal is to show you how to help the environment and put a dollars in your pocket at the same time.
We know that building homes can have a negative impact on our environment. The building industry is wising up to this and has created LEEDs and other certifications for homes that are considered “green”. Check out this website: http://www.pathnet.org/sp.asp?id=20978 for more information. In fact, Alaris Properties has an Eco-Broker to answer your questions and help us all learn how to be “green”.
Here are five tips that will save you money and reduce your carbon footprint thus helping the environment:
- You can save an average of $90 per year by shutting down your computer at night.
- You can reduce your energy consumption by 20% by installing an insulation blanket for your water heater. This will cost you $25 at your local hardware store and save you several hundred dollars each year.
- If you are using an old refrigerator, or some other old appliance, you can buy a new energy-efficient one. You might qualify for a tax credit and save yourself more money in energy consumption. If just one in 10 homes used energy-efficient appliances, it would be equivalent to planting 1.7 million new acres of trees.
- You can turn off the water while you brush your teeth. This will save 4.5 gallons of water each time you brush your teeth.
- We saved the best for last. You can remove yourself from junk mail lists. Each person receives approximately 560 pieces of junk mail each year. This adds up nationally to 4.5 million tons. About 44% of all junk mail is thrown in the trash, unopened and unread, and ends up in a landfill. To stem the flow into your home, contact the Direct Marketing Association’s Mail Preference Service at www.privacyrights.org/Letters/jm1.htm. Also, opt out of credit card or insurance offers at www.optoutprescreen.com or by calling 888-567-8688. We recommend you opt out for 5 years not permanently.
Small changes today can lead to a big difference in the world tomorrow. We want everyone to live a more sustainable life so that we preserve the earth for our children.